Tobyhanna Army Depot
Ask-Toby Frequently Asked Questions

External Web site links
are NOT controlled by Tobyhanna Army Depot.

Employment Questions


Retiree Questions


Q: How do I look for jobs at Tobyhanna?

A:   To see the current list of Tobyhanna Army Depot’s (TYAD’s) vacancies go to click on “ABOUT” then select “Career Opportunities”.  All open announcements are listed as well as information on How to Apply, Veteran’s Information,and the link to USAJOBs.  All resumes/applications must be submitted online using the USAJOBs website.    

Note:  There are exceptions where an applicant may be eligible to submit their application directly to TYAD.  Please see below for the list of exceptions. (TOP)

Q:  What are the exceptions that allow an applicant to apply directly to Tobyhanna?

Only the following candidates may submit an application directly to Tobyhanna Army Depot (TYAD).  These applications are maintained in our Applicant Supply File (ASF) for 2 years from the date you sign your application.  It is suggested you apply online as well as submitting an application directly to TYAD. 

1. Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA) candidates: Under the law the following veterans are eligible as long as they received an Honorable Discharge from their branch of service:

Disabled Veterans; or Veterans who have been awarded a Campaign Badge, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (AFEM), or Armed Forces Service Medal (AFEM); or recently separated veterans. Recently separated veterans are defined as those who have separated from active service within the last three years. There are no time restrictions on appointment of the first two categories of veterans. There is no length of service requirements for all three categories of veterans. The maximum grade level at which appointments may be made is GS-11. Veterans must meet all Office of Personnel Management (OPM) qualification requirements.

2. Severely disabled candidates: Individuals with disabilities possessing a certification statement from the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation or Department of Veterans Affairs rehabilitation counselor.

3. Transfer eligible candidates: Current Career and Career Conditional employees working for the federal government.

4.  Reinstatement eligible candidates: Former Federal employees who attained Career status on a permanent, competitive Federal appointment. If the person was a Career-Conditional, reinstatement eligibility generally applies within 3 years after separation.

How to Apply Directly:

All applicants eligible to apply directly to TYAD must provide a detailed resume, completed Series and Grade selection form as well as an OF 306, Declaration for Federal Employment. There forms are located in the ASF packets.

1. ASF packets may be picked up in the personnel office at TYAD, mailed or emailed to you. 

2. Veterans must also furnish a copy of their DD-214 “Certification of Release or Discharge from Active Duty” Member 4 Copy. You may request a copy of your DD-214 from:

Military Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Blvd.
St. Louis, MO   63132


3. Disabled Veterans must also include a letter dated from the Veterans Administration verifying the percent of disability.  This letter may be obtained by calling 1-800-827-1000 or from

4. Severely disabled individuals must also provide a letter from the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR). 

5. Transfer and/or reinstatement eligible will need to submit a copy of their most recent SF-50 action (Notification of Personnel Action) and their most recent performance appraisal.

National Archives and Records Administration
111 Winnebago Street
St. Louis, Missouri 63118
Phone: (314) 801-9250

If you meet the criteria listed above, applications may be mailed or emailed to:

Tobyhanna Army Depot
11 Hap Arnold Blvd
Tobyhanna, Pa   18466-5077 (TOP)

Q:  How do I look for jobs on USAJobs to include jobs with other federal agencies?

A: You can look on the USAJobs or  Army Civilian Service websites.


1. Visit USAJOBs

2. Click Search Jobs

3. For TYAD vacancies: Click Advanced Search: under the location search tab, select PA or PA-Tobyhanna or under key word search, enter Tobyhanna Army Depot

4. To view a vacancy announcement, click on the position title.

5. When you are ready to apply, select the Apply Online button.

6. You will be redirected to the USA Staffing Application Manager, complete the assessment and submit it.

7. You have just applied for the position.

Army Civilian Service

1. Visit Army Civilian Service

2. Select Army Job Search at the top right corner of the web page.

3. For TYAD vacancies: under location search tab, select PA or PA-Tobyhanna; under key word search, enter Tobyhanna Army Depot.

4. To view a vacancy announcement, click on the position title.

5. When you are ready to apply, select the Apply Online button.

6. You will be redirected to the USA Staffing Application Manager, complete the assessment and submit it.

7. You have just applied for the position. (TOP)

Q: What are NAFI positions and How can I apply for them?

A:  Non-appropriated Fund Instrumentality (NAFI), consists of positions at the Post Restaurant, the Family Services Division, and the Community Recreation Division at TYAD.  Job opportunities for NAFI positions can be found at  You apply to NAFI positions in the same manner as you would to federal agencies through USAJobs. You can use instructions in previous answer to search for NAFI jobs. (TOP)

Q:  I did not see any applicable job opening for me.  How often do new jobs appear on your site?

A:  It is recommended to go on USAJobs or Army Civilian Service at least once a week to see what new announcements have opened. If you find a position you want to be considered for, please apply using USAJobs or Army Civilian Service. (TOP)

Q:  My resume was forwarded to the selecting official for a position, why haven’t I seen an update since?

A:  Once your resume is forwarded to the selecting official they will review all resumes and determine who they will interview.  From the time a manager receives a referral list they have a maximum of 90 days to make a selection. It is at the manager's discretion to choose from the recruitment sources available.  The selection process can take up to six months.  (TOP)

Q:  How can I keep track of the status of my application(s)?

A:  To check the status of a resume you have built in USA Jobs, you need to log in and in your profile you will see “Resumes, Saved Searches, Saved Jobs, Saved documents and Application Status” Click on Application Status and at that point you can view all of the jobs you have applied for and the status of those jobs. All resumes must be rated to determine qualifications. Then the best qualified resumes that meet the job requirements/duties are forwarded to the selecting official at Tobyhanna. For each step that your application makes you will be emailed the status. These include but not limites to “Acknowledgement of Occupational Questionnaire, Application for Announcement.” (TOP)

Q:  For depot employees: How do I get job announcement e-mailed to my Enterprise or AKO account?

Go to the Tobyhanna Intranet Homepageclick on the “my hub” in the upper right hand corner of the page, click “Alerts;” click on “manage subscriptions;” in the drop down select “Civilian Personnel;” click the arrow in front of “Job Announcements;” click “Civilian Job Announcements;” select from the drop down how you want to be notified and in what manner; click the SAVE button—now you will receive published job announcements to your Enterprise or AKO email address. Announcements cannot be sent to any other email accounts outside Army employees. Outside applicants must view announcements on the USAJobs site. (TOP)

Q:  Do you hire students during summer vacations? 

A:  Yes. Summer hiring for high school/college students is typically announced in March or April. However, if you want detailed information on what is available for students please contact the Pathways POC at (570) 615-6381. (TOP)

Q: I am a student interested in internship/co-op information. 

A:  All TYAD internship/co-op opportunities fall under the Federal Pathways Intern Program and will be announced on the USAJOBs website in accordance with program guidelines. (TOP)

Q: Do veterans receive preference for jobs?

Yes, veterans can receive preference when applying for Federal Employment. Please visit for criteria and preference information. (TOP)

Q:  I have additional questions regarding the hiring process.  Where can I get help?

A: Contact our Job Information Center at (570) 615-7292. (TOP)


Q:  How do I get some personnel information from the depot?  I used to work there.

A:  Once an employee is retired all his personnel information is forwarded to Office of Personnel Management (OPM).  We only keep files at the depot for about 2 to 3 years.  You will have to call OPM at 1-888 767-6738.  After you give them the information it will take about 3 to 4 weeks to receive forms from them. (TOP)

Disclaimer Notice Security and Privacy Notice

External Web site links are NOT controlled by Tobyhanna Army Depot.

Tobyhanna Army Depot is not responsible for their content or accessibility. "The appearance of these hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the (Department of Defense/the U.S. Army/the U.S. Navy/the U.S. Air Force/the U.S. Marine Corps, etc.) of this web site or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation sites, the (Department of Defense/the U.S. Army/the U.S. Navy/the U.S. Air Force/the U.S. Marine Corps, etc.) does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at this location. This link is provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD web site."

Page Last Updated 29-Apr-2013